Many people wish they could change something about their bodies. Teenagers are no different. It could be a particular feature that makes them self-conscious or causes discomfort. Fortunately, cosmetic procedures and treatments offer a way to address these concerns.
The right approach will always depend on the individual. However, the following services are typically popular with our adolescent patients at Somenek + Pittman MD in Washington, D.C.:
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty, or nose surgery, is a procedure that can alter the size, shape, and structure of the nose. It’s often combined with septoplasty, a technique that corrects a deviated septum and makes it easier to breathe. Generally, teenagers should wait until their noses are fully developed, which happens around age 15 to 16 for girls and age 16 to 18 for boys. However, modified techniques can be appropriate for younger patients.
- Otoplasty: Protruding ears can be a source of self-esteem issues for teenagers. Otoplasty, or ear surgery, is often performed to bring the ears closer to the head. It can also be used to address large ears, asymmetry, and trauma-related abnormalities. Otoplasty can be performed anytime after the ears have reached their full size. Because this happens in childhood, most teenagers with large ears are good candidates.
- Breast reduction: Breast reduction surgery has cosmetic and functional benefits. It can reduce the size of large breasts that cause emotional distress or unwanted attention. However, it can also alleviate painful physical symptoms, such as deep bra strap grooves, skin rashes in the breast crease, and discomfort while exercising.
- Scar revision: Scars are an unavoidable product of injury and surgery. Fortunately, the appearance of unsightly scars can often be improved through various scar revision techniques. Our practice offers skin resurfacing, injectables, and surgical intervention.
- AviClear: Have you ever wondered why teenagers struggle with acne breakouts? Well, the increase in hormones during puberty plays a significant role in adolescent acne. The good news is that a laser treatment called AviClear works on all skin types and acne severities.
Book Your Consultation Today
Teenagers and their parents should know that cosmetic services aren’t always a good fit. It’s important to evaluate a patient’s motivations, expectations, emotional maturity, and other factors before moving forward with any procedures or in-office treatments. That said, these options do offer a safe and effective way for good candidates to make their body goals a reality.
Dr. Michael Somenek is a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon who is particularly well known for his rhinoplasty work. Dr. Troy Pittman is a board-certified plastic surgeon who practices the full spectrum of plastic surgery procedures but specializes in breast operations. You can rest assured that you are in good hands when you seek care from either of our doctors.
Call 202-810-7700 to schedule a consultation at Somenek + Pittman MD in Washington, D.C.